Updated August 16, 2020.
It’s Travel Tip Tuesday! If you’ve been following along on Instagram or Facebook, you know we just got back from hot, exotic Singapore! This tiny country is not your typical tropical island. It’s a major city with an eclectic history. There are some things you need to know about before you go, so this Travel Tip Tuesday, I’m getting you in the know about Singapore!
- Official Languages: English, Mandarin, Malay, and Tamil
- Currency: Singapore Dollar (Check xe.com and download their app for current exchange rates)
- Climate: Hot and humid all year round! We like coming to Singapore in the northern hemisphere’s winter season to escape the cold. And it will probably rain while you’re there.
- Tipping: Not required or expected. There is a 10% service charge
- DO NOT CHEW GUM. Seriously, don’t even pack it to bring with you for your flights to or from Singapore. You will be fined, and you may go to jail. But look how pristine Singapore is!
- National Symbol of Singapore: The Merlion. It is the National Personification of Singapore, and the original name of Singapore (Singapura) means “lion city.” You’ll see loads of Merlions around!
- Safety: Singapore is one of the safest countries in the world. Definitely safe for solo travel.
- Driving: On the left, British-style.
- Public Transportation: It’s called the MRT, and it is easy to use! You will need to know where you’re going and what station is nearby (you can do an Internet search for this before you go, or simply look at a Singapore map), and you can use the maps within the stations to find out which line you need to take to get there. Not sure? Ask someone nearby who appears to know what they’re doing!
Get more here: The Most Iconic Singapore Sites
I hope this insider tips will be helpful to you in planning your own trip! Check out my Singapore Page for more!
Like this post? Pin it for later!