What does a Kiwi eat? We found out on our recent trip to New Zealand’s epically beautiful South Island! Between the lamb, the lattes, and the Pavlova, I’m here to show you only the best!
A Kiwi breakfast is strikingly (though not shockingly) like a traditional British breakfast! Though it often also included an Asian element, such as congee, due to the high number of Asian tourists.
Some things I learned about lunch and food in general in New Zealand:
- Pumpkin is also a popular winter food there as it has been in the U.S. in recent years.
- Ketchup is called “tomato sauce,” and it’s not as popular there as back home. I could have used quite a bit more for my fries!
- It’s all about the savory pies—they are awesome!
- Mince can be a lot of things. It’s kind of like hot dogs—don’t ask what’s in it, just eat it and enjoy!
- Lamb is my new favorite meat.
After long days of driving, hiking, and exploring, we mostly just wanted to go to sleep! But a little something for our bellies always did us well. Here’s what we got into.
Coffee, Sweets, and Snacks
I’ve saved the best for last:
Are you ready to eat your way through New Zealand’s South Island? What would you like to try first?
Craving more of New Zealand? Check out my New Zealand Page!
Love this post? Pin it for later!