Heading to a “land down under” soon? It’s an absolute favorite of mine, so I can highly recommend it! But before you go, there are a few things to know that could give you a little help on your trip.
Getting Into the Country
- You will need a visa. It is good for one year, up to three months at a time, and you can find out how to get one in How to Apply for an Australian Tourist Visa!
- Know if you have an “e-passport.”
- You will need to fill out an entry form.
It’s not what you say but how you say it, right?
- Quay is pronounced “Key.”
- CBD is a common term elsewhere in the world, but not so much in the States, and it stands for “Central Business District.” If you’re like me, you’re more familiar with the term “downtown”!
- Lift is the word for “elevator,” and with the accent it sounds a lot like “left.” In a jet lagged hunt for the bathroom, this is a very important distinction!
- Way Out is another way of saying “Exit.”
If you don’t learn anything else before you go, note these things down!
- Drive on the… LEFT!
- Currency: Australian Dollar (AUD)
- International Driver’s License: Not necessary for Americans; do a quick Internet search to find out if drivers from your country need one!
- The Outlets: This is what the outlets look like, and in most cases, you have to turn the switch DOWN to turn it ON!
- Water is FREE at restaurants. Woohoo!
- It is illegal to hold a koala. Except at Kuranda Koala Gardens in Cairns!
- Do not spread Vegemite like butter. You will be in for a salty mouthful!
Want more? Check out my Australia Page!
What do you think? Are you ready to take on exotic and exciting Australia? Tell me below!
Love this post? Pin it for later!